Ian Simons explains remote-invigilated exams and how to prepare to be assessed this way
The Chartered Insurance Institute (CII) now offers remote-invigilation exams in two different ways – ‘Invigilated’ and ‘Record and Review’. Invigilated applies to CII multiple-choice question (MCQ) exams, where an invigilator is with you online and monitors you as you go. Record and Review is for CII on-screen written exams, where the session is recorded and an invigilator reviews the recording after the exam.
Remote-invigilated exams offer candidates additional flexibility and convenience in the timing and location of their exam, because they no longer have to travel to an exam centre for a specific time.
In the first quarter of 2021, more than 11,000 people sat CII MCQ exams, with some 73% conducted via remote invigilation. Roughly two-thirds of the 1,600 candidates taking on-screen written exams chose to do so by remote invigilation.
These top tips will help candidates prepare for an exam by remote invigilation:
Preparing your IT equipment
- Full specifications for the equipment you will need for taking your exam remotely can be found at: www.cii.co.uk/prepare-your-it-equipment
- Special notice should be taken if you plan to use equipment provided by your employer, because this is very likely to have security protocols that may conflict with the secure browser needed to take your exam. Full guidance on what to do if you need to use a work laptop can be found at the link above, however, it is strongly advised that you should use a personal laptop if you have access to one.
- System check: A system check should be taken as early as possible to ensure that you have access to the right systems and you have sufficient bandwidth. To do this, visit: www.systemcheck.rpexams.com
- Software installation: A secure browser must be downloaded to take your exam remotely and you should ensure that no other applications are open at the time of the exam.
For on-screen written exams, visit: www.cii.remoteproctor.com
- Screen monitor: Remotely invigilated exams must be taken on a laptop or desktop PC with one screen only. They cannot be taken on any tablet or mobile devices. Your webcam must allow you to do a 360-degree scan of the room, so needs to be easily lifted and moved throughout the room.
You will need a quiet and private place to take your exam, well lit and uncluttered, with a closed door and where you will be disturbed.
- What you can take into your exam
Before the day of your exam
- Familiarisation test – The familiarisation test allows you to experience using the assessment platform before your exam.
For the MCQ familiarisation test, visit: www.cii.co.uk/exam-familiarisation
For the on-screen written familiarisation test, visit: www.uat-cii.psionline.com/phoenix/s/login
- Practice test – In addition to the familiarisation test, a full practice test is available for on-screen written exams. You can try the practice test once you have received your login details.
For more information, visit: www.cii.co.uk/assessment-information
For technical assistance contact:
PSI technical support team
+44(0)808 273 9244
For general queries contact:
CII customer services
+44 (0)20 8989 8464
For exam entry confirmation and permits contact:
CII exams team
Ian Simons is customer director of the CII