Simon Webster gives an overview of the benefits of Personal Finance Society membership
Our community of 40,000 members is active in all corners of the personal finance profession. Being recognised by employers, regulators, consumers and government as the leading professional body for financial planning allows us to create a framework that underpins your membership.
Our network of 26 PFS regions across the UK, Channel Islands and Isle of Man provides first-class technical and regulatory CPD events, soft skills training and social activities.
Our Learning Content Hub and digital CPD platform provide extensive programmes of ongoing learning, helping to keep your knowledge up to date and relevant.
New in 2021, our Wellbeing Hub is home to articles, webcasts and workshops designed to make a difference to the wellbeing of you and the people around you. Find out more at: thepfs.org/wellbeing
Connect is our member-only digital mentoring platform, enabling you to share your collective knowledge and experience with other members. It facilitates personal and professional growth for insurance professionals at any stage of their careers by matching them within our membership pool.
Another way to give back is by participating in one of our pro bono volunteering opportunities, which help build public trust in the profession. These see our members delivering financial education workshops to schools and colleges across the UK.
A new development in 2021 is the Financial Vulnerability Taskforce, an independent representative body whose purpose is to promote greater understanding, encourage appropriate behaviours and establish good practice in consumer vulnerability. Register your support at: fvtaskforce.com
We offer members access to a legal helpline service, which provides advice on a range of business and personal legal issues. Subjects covered include partnership law, contract law and various commercial and private issues.
Perks provides members with a range of money-saving deals and discounts with major online retailers and high-street brands, across lifestyle, travel, business and advice.
Member support scheme
If your membership is due for renewal and you find yourself temporarily out of work through redundancy, unemployment or other special circumstances that may cause financial hardship, you may be eligible for a temporary 50% reduction in your subscription fee.
Find out more about your membership at: www.thepfs.org/membership
Simon Webster is membership marketing manager of the PFS
Image credit | iStock
The pandemic has accelerated plans to introduce innovative digital enhancements to your membership, including:
- Digital welcome/renewal packs: all members go to a personalised digital landing page, with links to your membership card and the latest updates on the benefits of membership.
- Digital membership cards: download and save a digital version of your card to laptop, mobile phone or Apple or Google wallets.
- Digital membership certificates: download your digital certificate from MyPFS at any time; a unique verification code allows employers and others to verify your status.
Events and networking
- Digital CPD programme: while we await the return of face-to-face events, our digital programme is themed around current hot topics, while our monthly medley (first Thursday of every month) takes a deeper dive into a critical topic. Watch live or catch-up on-demand at: hhttps://thepfs.org/events
- Regional connections: hosted by your regional committee members, these sessions run on MS Teams in small breakout groups, encouraging interactivity, best practice sharing and networking among professionals in your region. Find out more at: events.thepfs.org/public